I personally think education SHOULDN'T be a privilege, because whenever I think of all the world problems, the solution I always come to is education. So it's not only discouraging when education is maintained as a privilege, but it is also preventing us as a whole from solving many of these problems.

But that's my opinion, what's your thoughts on education?

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The biggest employers in the US in the 50s were GM, US Steel, GE, Chrysler, and Standard Oil. The biggest employers today are Walmart, UPS, Target, and Kroger. So where are all these jobs that these college graduates are going to get because of their degrees? They don't exist.  We can only have so many business, law, teaching, engineering, computer, and health field positions. Most of those fields are already saturated. Students are going into debt for no reason.

Please read this girl's story. She is exactly what I'm talking about, and there are many like her:

http://mynorthwest.com/75/640803/College-grad-asks-for-donations-to...

But retail jobs aren't skilled enough to attract the kind of wages that, say, a skilled steel worker or mechanic used to get. To be able to have a chance of earning the same amount of money now you probably need to go into a job with a degree.

If you have a degree you at least have a chance of getting a better job and being able to provide a better standard of living for your family. Sure a lot of them won't. But a chance is worth the gamble with the loan in my opinion. If you limit the chances of getting the education, you limit social mobility, which is ultimately bad for everyone.

Then again, I don't really know too much about how the loan system works in the US. Here if you don't benefit from the degree you don't usually end up paying the loan back. You pay something like 9% of anything you earn over £25k a year. With the average wage being £20k.

This only applies to a very narrow number of degrees. Look up the most popular degrees in the US, most of them are not going to get you any kind of social mobility, they are just going to put you in debt, and you will be working at those retail places. 

The worst part of the system is that is ass backwards. For example, I went through the State University of New York system. For a useful degree, say in the health field, the number of people allowed to enter is restricted, and only a few get in. They only accept a set amount of people each year. But if you want to get a degree in something that isn't likely to get you a job, like psychology, law, communications, or most liberal arts degrees, there is no limit and they'll hand out as many as apply. 

They can only train so many people in the medical field though. There's a limit to how many med students a doctor can reasonably have trailing after them, or than a patient can reasonably be expected not to mind sitting in on their procedure. 

The way medical staff are trained in and of itself limits the number of those staff who can be trained in one go.

As to the other degrees. If you want to be a lawyer you need a law degree, an economist you need an economics degree, and to be an engineer you'll need an engineering degree. Other than that for the most part it doesn't matter what course you take. Most graduate entry jobs don't specify what you should have a degree in, just that you should have one.

But they could open more programs in more areas.  Between the two states I have lived in, there were 5 schools that offered the health degree I want (and based on the average number of people accepted, that's roughly 200 new students- and some states have NO schools offering the program).  And this is for a job that has something like a 20% job growth rate over the next ten years.  The demand is CRAZY high yet the number of people being trained in the field is one of the lowest.  It's a disconnect that does not make sense.

Everyone has the right, or should have the right, to get an education, but it is a privilege for one to achieve an education.

My problem with the government ensuring everyone's education is the problem of who will write the textbooks. Don't get me wrong. I want education to be affordable and guaranteed. However, an uneducated mass is not worse than an educated body who is corrupted by prevailing ideology. Jerico Magallanes and Sarah Le Blanc, I wholeheartedly agree that education should be guaranteed and safeguarded. How else are we going to achieve our full potentials? But I think the road down that path is far trickier, and a lot of times more difficult. Almost a century of mass murders, genocides, "banana republic" takeovers, and "developed" nations basically raping Africa, Asia, and South America for its riches all transpired, justified by the very work of colleges and higher learning institutions. Sometimes, even reading textbooks from my college makes me feel brainwashed, like I'm not getting all of the story.

I know I got seriously off topic, but I want people to seriously consider this before they promote some greater change for the good. Personally, I am insanely jealous of you Europeans and your guaranteed post-secondary education, but it's just something to be conscious of.

RSS

Welcome to 20SB!

Social

© 2014   Created by Lisa.   Powered by

|  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service