I'm looking to buy a new camera in the very near future.

Right now I'm rocking a Lumix TZ7 point and shoot, which I do have a lot of fun with, but I seriously need an upgrade.

I'm thinking of going with the new Panasonic GH2 with the 14-140 lens but I'd love to hear what you think.  Let me know what you're packing!

Tags: cameras, lumix

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nikon.

ha! I'm a Nikon girl but haven't gotten a new digital camera in years and have tried not to look so I'm not tempted. It also really depends what you want to use it for and how much money you want, what kind you want (point and shoot, DLSR, or the middle range(like a mix between PS and DSLR. It has a fixed lens )).

Take a look at this website for some reviews http://www.dpreview.com/

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

I've got a Nikon D3000 with an 18-55mm lens and a shiny new 55-300mm lens. I'd only ever had point and shoots until I bought my DSLR last January. I don't think I could ever go back now! (That said, I have a really cheap point and shoot to chuck in my handbag when going for drinks or whatever. As great as the SLR is, it weighs a ton!)

My best friend just got the Canon Powershot SX210IS, and basically wants to have its babies. Point and shoot with 14X optical zoom? Not too shabby at all! :)

D3000 is what I am saving for right now :)
It rocks my world, it really does!

I have a Nikon P80, which is one of the higher-spec "point'n'shoot" types, and it does everything I need it to just fine...  I'd love a DSLR at some point, but that would involve firstly buying it (eeurgh, money!) and secondly learning to use it!

However, I'm having a lot of fun at the moment with a £1.19 iPhone app called "Hipstamatic"...  I know it's not "real photography", but I'm really enjoying playing with it, and I think the photo results are really cool!  Worth checking out if you have an iPhone...  :)

There was a REALLy good thread on this a few months back, tons of really good info there.. I'll see if I can find it.

My advice is there are two camps really, Nikon and Canon. For the most part they are comparable. Once you decide what features you're going for (point and shoot, DSLR, optical zoom, manual settings etc) you're going to want to go to a camera shop and pick up different models to see which one 'fits' you best (weight, grip, settings-menu accessibility etc).

Found it!

eta: I'm rocking a Samsung NV7-OPS right now, it has titanium  casing, which has come in handy SO many times, 10x optical zoom with a fixed lens (there is digital zoom too, but I can't remember how much), it has auto, pre-set auto, manual settings, pre-set landscape, portrait, motion day/night settings, an internal stabilizer, video setting as well as built in editing features.

The menu access is set up similar to an ipod, you slide your fingers either across ----> buttons along the bottom of the LCD to access certain menus and you can slide up/down along the right hand side to make further menu selections (this was the real selling point of the camera, it was nifty).Mine also came with a usb to plug adaptor which has saved my life so many times. 

Also I have left it out in the rain 3x and with disassembling/drying parts in the sun for 4+ hours it still works with no lens condensation or shorts. so it is a STURDY camera. Cost was about $267.00 (I paid about $100 more than reg cost for the titanium body--totally worth it).

Downsides: NO RAW, doesn't take SDHC, won't read cards higher than 4gb, no working driver released from the company (FAIL!), poor battery life.

OK, first off <3 Lumix. Their camera's rock the casbah, from P&S through to SLR.

I have an FZ38 'bridge' or 'superzoom' camera at the mo. I would have an SLR but I am doing so much travel that it isn't really practical. That said - the FZ38 takes great photos, and I am really pleased with it.

I also had a Fuji bridge camera about 6 months ago and that took really good photos too...

A couple of example pics

Oooh, I have the Panasonic FZ35. I really love it, it's a breeze to use and I get some really great shots. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something between DSLR and a regular point and shoot.

But, if you're looking for either of those, go with a Canon. My friend has a regular Canon P&S that rivals the pictures I take with my camera in every way...and a lot of times, they're better.

Don't get the Nikon CoolPix P90. I think they're marketing the P100 now but I got the P90 right before the upgrade and the 90 sucks. I mean, for the most part, the pictures are great but 70% of the time indoor shots even on INDOOR settings are always blurry. I don't get it.

I'm ready for a DSLR upgrade anyway.

I'm really glad you wrote this because I was seriously looking into getting one of these this coming weekend. Mission aborted! Just in time. My current camera has the same problem of indoor photos being busy. But I'll blame it on the fact that I have abused that little camera with all the times I've dropped it or thrown it in my bag.

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

my TZ7 is a very high-spec point and shoot - I think it has a 10x optical zoom?  It takes a good picture.

I was super tempted by the canon 60D (can you tell I'm a boots-n-all kind of girl) but I'm reading such fantastic things about the GH2, especially in regards to its video capabilities.  Plus it would be lighter - I'd be more tempted to lug it around with me that way.

I've been super impressed my my panasonic lumix point and shoot, but I haven't heard too much first hand about their larger cameras.

I reckon I'll keep reading up for a couple of weeks yet...

RSS

Welcome to 20SB!

Need Help?

Social

© 2014   Created by Lisa.   Powered by

|  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service