Hi everybody! I graduated from college in December and since I have a lot of free time now, I figured it would be a good idea to cultivate my general knowledge by reading some classics...

Which classics would you recommend?

Oh, I forgot to mention I live in Argentina so some books might be hard to get, especially if they're in English :(

Tags: classics, literature

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ha!
Oh my goodness! I haven't read R.L. Stine since I was a kid! I loved those books! And the choose your own endings were the best! It was so creative that you could decide what you wanted to happen in the book. So fun!
:O Wow...you just made me feel uncapable of reading anything with more than 200 pages and sentences longer than 2 lines...

I read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and attempted several times to read Jane Eyre.  I'm really into Spanish work that's been translated.  I just finished reading Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, loved it.  It's incredible!  Incredible author!  I'm looking through several authors right now, Umberto Eco, Perez-Reverte: that's the last name, can't remember the first name. 

I'm currently reading 3 books.  A heavy read, a medium heavy read - plot oriented and quick paced, and a simple but tolerable book.  I just finished Angel's Game which was my heavy read, and switched it with The Fencing Master by Perez Reverte.  I think he's an Italian author.  I'm also reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks.  Have fun!

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein!

I love the classics-- The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James is wonderful, and you should definitely read The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.

I'm actually reading through a list of classics that my teachers gave me when I was in high school. It's a pretty long list and I know it will take a long time to get through, but I'm just picking the books at random and slowly crossing them off as I go. The list is on my blog if you're interested-- it's the page called "Book List."

http://treesandink.wordpress.com

I'll definitely check it out! Thank you for replying! 

has anyone mentioned "anna karenina" yet? It's by Tolstoy, it's a little tough to get into but it's an incredible book.
oh, and ANYTHING by john steinbeck.
Yes, one or two members mentioned Tolstoi already :D
Now John Steinbeck...I don't remember anybody mentioning him (but who knows)!
Thank you for replying!

RSS

Welcome to 20SB!

Social

© 2014   Created by Lisa.   Powered by

|  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service