Hey everyone!

To save you the dreary and boring lengthy explanation behind this post, I'll make it short and simple. I'm working on a book, and I need to do some research.

This research hopefully involves all of you. What I'm interested in knowing is, what, if anything, turns you off Christianity, and why? And, as someone who is not a Christian, what would it take for you to see Christianity as more than a load of BS (if that is how you feel about it).

Also, please note, I am not looking to start any arguments. I'm genuinely interested in getting people's opinions. If for whatever reason you're not comfortable posting your thoughts on here, please just send me a message!

I look forward to hearing all your perspectives!

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My only real issue is that I think people take the bible too seriously.  The bible was written by humans.  People lie, they say god tolled them what to write, but they could have just been people with psychological disorders. 

I believe in God, but not sure about Jesus.  I also don't believe that God is an "active" God.  I think he steps in every now and then, but for the most part we are on our own. 

I know that's one perspective my boyfriend and I really don't agree on... he can't see where I believe the Bible to be real.

*shrug* a lot of it is in faith. Truth be told, we don't *really* know that each and every piece in there was God inspired. There is no real way of knowing until it's all said and done. There's no real way of knowing anything until it's all said and done. It's a matter of faith and trusting in what you believe I guess, if any of that made any sense whatsoever.

That being said, I know I feel there are some who take a lot of things *too* seriously with the Bible. The entire thing is not meant to be 100% literal. If you have ever read the book of Revelations, that one is 99% metaphorical. Yet I still know people who believe that every word of it is literal.

And the one that gets me the most are the people who utilize parts of it out of context to manipulate their own meaning out of it, in order to get what they want. It's why a lot of Christians find support for their elitist and hypocritical behaviour, the prosperity gospel and spreading hatred and separation instead of love. They take verses from here, bits from there, and suddenly, it sounds like what they're saying is Biblical, but it's not.

Anyways. Those were just some of my thoughts as a Christian on that... I believe in the Bible, but I do agree that there are a lot of things we really don't know about the writers of it.

Christianity... and all religions... just seem like a bunch of hooey to me.

When I hear them beginning to speak about redemption and guilt... I turn off.

We all are alive.  We make mistakes.  The beauty in the theory of religion is that you can be loved despite those flaws or errors.  But to sit and be told that I owe it to Jesus who gave himself for me?  Fuck that... I am human.  And I never met the man.  To feel like my life is about paying someone back a debt, is not a life at all, for me. 

And if we preach about loving one another and then cross oceans to kill each other, I think something is seriously messed up with this system.

... My thoughts, anyways.

Why am I not surprised?
i guess the main thing that bothers me about christianity, or any religion for that matter, is the idea of combining a moral set of beliefs with a supernatural set of beliefs.  something like the 10 commandments are, for the most part, universally objective truths, while something like "christ is the savior of all men's souls" is completely subjective.  when subjective and objective beliefs are combined and taken as truths, problems are created as views and beliefs can no longer be intelligibly debated, taught or understood...ive read tons of philosophical essays on religion and im actually working on an essay of my own if you are interested (this is a piece of one of my arguments).  what is your book about?
I'll admit, I haven't read through every post, so someone might've already mentioned this, but have you read the book Unchristian? It's quite similar to what you are debating here.
Have not heard of it... who is the author?

David Kinnaman

Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/unChristian-Generation-Really-Christianity-Ma...

I haven't read it, but my sister has. I think it's geared more toward Christians, but I know it talks a lot about the perspectives people today, have toward Christianity.

I dislike the thought that humans are essentially innately evil and spend their whole lives trying to be better.

I dislike that in my personal life, I've known so many Christians that would judge me for my beliefs, when I was so accepting of theirs, despite not sharing those beliefs.

I dislike that some of my worst teenage memories were of going to youth group, and that the people there were so incredibly mean. 

I'm sure I could think of other things...but that sums it up.  For Christianity to be more than a load of BS in my world, I would have to have met more good, accepting, loving Christians in my life. I know they're out there, but the pleasant to unpleasant ratio that I have experienced has been very disheartening.

Clair, thank you for sharing this.

While I may not be one of those Christians who did that, I apologize. I'm sorry for the fact that there are so many out there who place themselves above everyone else solely for the fact that they are Christians.

They have no right to judge you, or to make you feel any less, and it breaks my heart to know that they have done this.

One of the biggest reasons I struggled with my own faith for years was a situation similar to that. I grew up in a Christian family, and have attended church all my life. From the time I was 10 up until not to long ago, I have never had a friend in church. I'm weird, I admit it. But because I'm not like everyone else, I've paid for it within the church. I was ridiculed and left out, publicly humiliated and had all my faults high-lighted for the whole youth group to see. I was shown anything but love by those who claimed to be showing the message of Jesus to the world.

Even now, I can't say I have any friends at church. They're still hypocritical and judgemental. But I've learned not to care. The adults in my church (at least, on the pastoral team) love on me for who I am and take the opportunity to let me use my talents to help out in the church.

Anyways, I'm getting off on a bit of a tangent here, but the point that I wanted to make was that I completely understand your feelings on that because I've been at the receiving end of it too. And I do hope you have the opportunity to encounter more Christians in your life who are not like those you knew beforehand.

RSS

Welcome to 20SB!

Need Help?

Social

© 2014   Created by Lisa.   Powered by

|  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service