Whenever the owner leaves home, the dog becomes restless and appears to be stressed. Such a condition is called dog separation anxiety. In daily life, you can come to know about the symptoms of the unusual behavior of your dog. For example, if you come home to receive a refreshed, lively, and vibrant dog who seems to have been waiting for you so long. Stepping in your living room, you notice your shoes torn, tie chewed, and dress destroyed. Then you come to know about the disturbance your dog created for the neighborhood when you were away. The way it barked and howled all the time. These are some of the 3 best dog crates for separation anxiety.
Some tips to help separation anxiety in dogs
Dog anxiety medication can be applied to treat the separation anxiety problem of dogs. A proper medication will prove to be significant in reducing the level of anxiety in the dogs. However, the medication only allows the dog to tolerate the situation. If you want the dog to accept the separation from owner, you need to train him and try to modify its behavior.
Now, there are different medications to help deal with dog separation anxiety.
- One such medication is Benzodiazepines. They act quickly, and if the problem is on a big scale, then you can combine Benzodiazepines with drugs that act for a longer period. This will increase the action speed as well as treating the problem.
- To prevent the separation anxiety, dogs must be given some longer acting drugs continuously such as azapirones, tricyclic antidepressants, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They would require some weeks to become effective.
All these are dog anxiety medications. Apart from these, you must train your dog to make it feel natural and help it to feel less stressful.
Tips to train your dog’s separation anxiety
ou can ease your dog’s stress situation by training it in an appropriate manner.
- You must take your dog for a small walk before you leave for work. After the walk give some food and water to your dog. Let it be in a resting and quiet mode for some time.
- The moment you leave the house or return, don’t communicate or interact much with the dog. Don’t let it feel that you are going away and will miss it. In this way, it will learn that this distance is not a big deal and is an ordinary routine.
- If you want to train your dog to learn to be away from you. Then start off with five minutes. Leave the dog alone for five to ten minutes. Then gradually extend the time you leave the dog alone. Leave it alone for half an hour, and then two hours and in this way you will be ready to leave your dog alone in the house for a full eight hours without much dog separation anxiety problem.